Thursday, October 1, 2009

2 weeks.....or a month

Wow! It's been quite the week and half. It has felt like an entire month. As you have seen posted, our little Jessica Gale arrived on Sunday. Thank you Stacy for taking pictures and updating the blog while we were in the hospital so everyone could see our beautiful little girl. As you will find out after this post, she waited until everything was right for her to come. Lets start at the beginning. Last Monday, I woke up to a phone call from my dad. I knew something wasn't right. He said that my mom had been in a car accident and thinks she broke her ankle. The next call was from my mom saying "Don't have that baby today!" Sure enough, she rear ended someone and was pushing hard on the brakes trying to stop and the impact broke the distal part of her fibula. No surgery, but she is down for 6 weeks. So, last week Richie, Allie, and I stayed with her since my dad was out of town. I'm grateful to have a job where I can work from home if something like this arises, and to have an understanding boss that knows that things like this happen and will let you. So, we finally went home and slept in our home on Friday. Saturday we moved Richie's brother to his new apartment. It was bitter sweet. It's nice to have our room back so we can make it into what we need it for, but now he is so far away and things are quiet around here. We love you Randy and miss you. Anyways, after moving we came home and watched the ASU football game. Great game, sad to see us lose, but when you're favored to lose by 2 or 3 touchdowns and the game is won in the last 2 seconds of the ballgame by a field goal against and SEC team, you can't complain. It was a great game to watch and we are proud of our sun devils. Anyways, that night as we got in to bed, I started having contractions. I wanted to be absolutely sure that this was it so I laid in bed timing them and trying to sleep. Well, at around 2:30, I decided to wake Rich up so he could time them. I haven't slept and they were pretty regular. At 4:00 I told Richie to grab our stuff. We got to the hospital at 5:40 (yes, it took us over an hour to get there because it is the furthest hospital from our house. That's where my doctor is). They checked me when I got in and watched me for an hour. My contractions were every 3 minutes and I was dilated to a one. The nurse was going to send us home because she said it didn't feel like labor. Then Rich said we live over an hour away so she called the doctor on call and he decided to admit us. Good thing because by the time I got admitted and they checked me I was at a 3. At around 11:00 I was at a four and they decided to put me on pitocin because my contractions were about every 3 to every 5 minutes. They started the pitocin and they went to every minute and a half. At around 1:30 I asked for an epidural. At 6:30 I was fully dilated so they called the doctor. My doctor was sick so the on call doc had to deliver. They got me all prepped and when he arrived he broke my water (yes my water had never broke). 2 contractions later our little Jessica was here. A side note that is funny, she came right during half time of the Cardinals football game. So, she waited until my mom was able to be there, she waited so we could help Uncle Randy move, and she even waited until half time of the football game. These last two weeks have felt like a month. I only stayed in the hospital for 24 hours and they let me go. We wanted to leave soon because Allie wasn't allowed to be in the hospital so she hadn't seen her sister yet. She was so excited ot see her and is going to be a great big sister. We are all doing well and enjoying being together as a family. Anyways, I will stop blabbing and get to what everyone wants to see. Here are pictures from the last 3 days here at home. 'Til next time.





4 comments:

john and steph said...

Allie looks so cute being a big sister. I bet she loves her so much. Congrats again.

Lori said...

We are so glad you all are doing well. Jessica is so cute and that's a great picture of Allie and Jessica together. We wish we lived closer so all these kids could play with each other and know each other better. Maybe someday huh? Congrats guys!

Susanna said...

Congrates you guys! She is so cute! This is fun to see pictures of your new little one.

The Hopkins Family said...

She is cute. We miss you guys like crazy. We hope to see you soon. Love you and Congratulations!!